Adult Discipleship Director
Montgomery Community Church
Title: Adult Discipleship Director
Classification: Salaried Exempt, Full-time 40 to 50 hours/wk
Benefits: As indicated in the MCC Employee Handbook
Purpose: The primary purpose of this Senior Leadership Team position is to ensure ongoing support, development, expansion, and refinement of key adult discipleship programs that guide and encourage people to deepen their personal relationship with Jesus. Key programs include Groups, Discipleship and Care ministry components.
- Develop strategy and direction for all aspects of Adult Discipleship programing
- Provide leadership to focus and refine the staff, and volunteer efforts in Discipleship, Groups and Care
- Guide and foster relationship with Adult Discipleship staff and key ministry volunteer leaders
- Lead the spiritual formation of Men of MCC and the men’s ministry volunteer leadership team
- Provide communications continuity from key volunteers, and Adult Discipleship staff to the Senior Leadership Team
- Attend Senior Leadership Team meetings by zoom or in person.
- Approve/ensure ongoing Adult Discipleship communications of Group, Discipleship, Care progress, and program events to the congregation
- Staff Supervision
- Mentor ministry staff to empower, encourage, and enable their development and growth in their assigned areas of ministry.
- Supervise, train, and coach direct reports to implement and effectively accomplish the work of the ministry assigned.
- Develop and effectively communicate performance expectations, develop appropriate accountability processes, conduct performance reviews at least annually, and create professional development plans for each direct report.
- Work with and assist the Operations staff in areas of personnel management (i.e., hiring process, benefits, compensation, disciplinary situations, etc.).
- Understand and operate within the policies and processes outlined in the Employee Handbook to ensure consistent application throughout the church.
- Provide pastoral care to the Adult Discipleship staff.
D Lay Leaders and Volunteers
- Build ministry capacity through recruitment and training of lay leaders and volunteers to ensure the effective implementation of ministry objectives, goals, and action plans.
- Equip, disciple, coach, and supervise ministry lay leaders and volunteers so they may grow like Christ and effectively use their giftedness in God’s church.
- Develop, communicate, and implement performance expectations and appropriate accountability processes for outreach ministry lay leader to accomplish missional goals.
E Financial Management
- Provide input and assist with the creation of operating and capital budgets which are fully integrated with the church’s mission, vision, and strategies.
- In the spirit of stewardship, manage labor and spending within approved budgeted parameters and monitor spending at least monthly.
- Understand and operate within church policies and processes regarding all financial transactions of the church.
- Occasionally, as assigned by the Lead Pastor, teach in worship services
- Convey MCCs Christian message and carry out its mission by exemplifying and promoting biblical values and fostering life-giving relationships with congregants, visitors, vendors, and other staff while serving in this ministry role. Such actional include offering prayer, encouragement, and comfort in both personal and work relationships, leading other toward Christian maturity and, as applicable, faithfully teaching the Word of God.
- Give full commitment in word and deed to support the faith tenants and cultural expectations of MCC.
- Value and develop strong/positive relationships via teams comprised of church staff, ministry partners, families, and lay leadership.
- Foster high levels of cooperation and effectively work in a team environment with quality relationships and respect each member’s giftedness & unique abilities.
- Proactively grow and develop leadership gifts through training opportunities.
- Ability to work with a teachable heart, good attitude, and unified spirit.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Strategically build Adult Discipleship programs, curriculum, and events
- Clarify and enhance discipleship pathways
- Build lay leadership pathways
A Knowledge and Experience
- Meet the character qualities of a spiritual leader as in I Timothy 3 and Titus 1
- Agreement with MCC Constitution, Beliefs Statement, Mission, and Vision
- Candidate should be married with children, and openly demonstrate discipleship within his/her home
- Bachelor's or master's degree in Bible, Christian Education, Ministry, or related field required, or equivalent experience in a ministry or church setting
- Knowledge of developmental and faith stages for adults and the ability to strategically choose & implement appropriate programming for those stages is essential
- At least 3 years' demonstrated leadership and experience on a large church staff leading in the spiritual formation area of adult and family education is required
- B Personal Characteristics
- Pursue an intimate relationship with Christ with intensity, passion, and single-minded commitment
- Known for a humble and teachable spirit
- Model a life surrendered to Christ and lives the message He teaches including an active prayer life
- Committed to evangelism proven by teaching, lifestyle, and support of missions
- Devoted and committed to family with strong moral standing
- Presence and charisma necessary to be one of the primary faces of MCC to both the congregation and the local community
- Team building, strong organization and self-initiative, follow-through, task orientation, ability to see the big picture, strong coaching, empowerment, and leadership skills, exceptional relational ability
- Decisive leader with the ability to create a positive intentional leadership culture
- High-energy with ability to motivate staff to deliver exceptional results
- Applies biblical doctrine and leads change in a dynamic environment
C Spiritual Gifts
Reports to: Executive Pastor