Director of Children Family Ministries
Director of Children & Family Ministries
Asbury Memorial Church – Savannah, GA
Part-time (15 hours/week average)
Asbury Memorial Church is an urban church in Savannah, Georgia, with a vibrant, diverse, and progressive congregation. We are an open and inclusive congregation that averages 200 – 300 in weekly worship attendance. We are in search of a Director of Children and Family Ministries who can grow and develop our children’s ministry. This new role provides an exciting opportunity for a motivated, responsible, and creative individual to have a huge impact on the lives of children and families.
PURPOSE OF POSITION
To develop and nurture children in the Christian faith and to build a strong sense of community among families, increasing our outreach, hospitality, and faith formation with families and children. This role will focus not only on implementing programs, but on empowering individuals to use and grow their gifts by volunteering time and resources to support children’s ministry.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
The Director of Children and Family Ministries will:
- Create and build engaging programming that help children and their families deepen and explore their spiritual lives.
- Help create and implement ideas, visions, and goals for Asbury’s Children and Family Ministries.
- Build lasting and spiritually supportive relationships with parents and their children.
- Foster growth of membership and participation of children and families in the full life of the church.
- Coordinate Asbury’s weekly Sunday morning programs for children (nursery through 5th grade)
- Coordinate programs for children on Wednesday evenings when Asbury has its regular Wednesday church programs.
- Supervise and coordinate paid childcare for Sunday mornings, Wednesday evenings, and other church events.
- Cultivate a highly motivated, passionate, well-trained and volunteer staff for children’s ministries.
- Coordinate Vacation Bible School and others special events for children and families throughout the year.
- Ensure compliance of all childcare staff, teachers, and volunteers with Safe Sanctuaries Policy through screening, training, and scheduling of all volunteers.
- Maintain database of Asbury’s Children and Family Ministries.
- Manage the budget for Asbury’s Children and Family Ministries.
- Participate in staff meetings and committee meetings, as necessary, with the purpose of integrating Asbury’s Children and Family Ministries into the life of the church.
- Represent Asbury’s Children and Family Ministries on the Council On Ministries.
- Coordinate with our other ministries of the church to advance Asbury Memorial’s mission.
The Right “FIT”:
The Director of Children and Family Ministries needs:
- To be passionate for ministry to children and families.
- To be an innovative self-starter who is team oriented.
- To possess a mature Christian faith and sense of vocational call to ministry to the children and families.
- To understand the emotional, intellectual, and spiritual needs of children.
- To have strong interpersonal skills - able to maintain healthy, motivating relationships with supervisors, coworkers, volunteers, families, and children.
- To be willing to receive training in listening skills, conflict resolution skills, and other interpersonal skills.
- To be willing to attend workshops and other educational events about children’s ministry.
- To be willing to be trained in the “Godly Play” approach of religious education.
- To be good with collaborating and networking.
- To demonstrate appropriate judgment, discretion, sensitivity, and confidentiality.
- To embrace innovation and creativity.
- To be inclusive - supporting the church’s commitment to serving as a safe and loving home for all people, including but not limited to sexual orientation, gender identity, racial identity, religious identity, and documentation status.
- Sick time and vacation time offered according to church’s Personnel Policies.
- Reimbursable Expenses: Books, Supplies, Resources, Continuing Education per church’s personnel policies.